In this age of distraction, it’s easy to want to jump on to the trendiest social platforms to catch the attention of new customers, but choosing how you spend your time, money, and marketing dollars takes strategy. There is one simple phrase that can change everything for you: “How did you find us?” If you start asking each and every one of your customers this question, you’ll be amazed at where you need to be and what’s working or not working. There are variations to this question that can help you drill down even further, for example, “what key words did you search for to find us?” and “did you find our (insert social media platform) webpage first or our company website?”
5 Steps to Improving Your Marketing Strategy
- Create a script for your phone calls and customer service engagements. Even if it’s one strip of paper taped to the phone or the cash register, a visual stimuli can be a friendly prompt. Asking “How did you find us?” may seem a little awkward, but if you practice it and have it as part of your script, you will get better outcomes.
- Ask your existing customers which social media platforms they are currently enjoying. As a B2B, many of your clients may be on LinkedIn. If you deal directly with customers, your clientele may be on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or elsewhere on the interwebs.
- Create a tracking system. It’s great if you have your employees asking this critical question, but if you don’t create an easy way for them to track the response, that valuable data will be lost and your effort along with it.
- Review the tracking system frequently. You may notice a shifting trend as various social platforms become more popular or change their engagement policies. Your willingness to adapt will help you reach your target audience.
- Manage your reality. If you are a non-tech savvy person who works primarily via word of mouth and are happy with the workload, then don’t overwhelm yourself with going online to create additional work for yourself. However, If you’re like many of us and you need to reach new customers without time to wait for word of mouth, then by all means listen to your customers and begin populating the social media platforms that are appropriate.
If you have questions about social media platforms or about creating a marketing strategy for your company, we’re happy to help, and, yes, we will ask “how did you hear about us?”
We provide 1-on-1 social media training! Schedule your session HERE